Assemblyman Santabarbara Announces $3 Million for Cooling Program
As we prepare for the summer months, Assemblyman Santabarbara (D-Rotterdam) is informing residents of the HEAP Cooling Assistance program. The state recently allocated $3 million to the program to help provide for the purchase and installation of an air conditioner to eligible households with a family member who suffers from medical conditions aggravated by extreme heat.
“This program will help ensure our families are safe and comfortable in their homes this summer,” stated Assemblyman Santabarbara. “While the cool breeze and current weather make it seems like summer is far away, we know the sweltering heat is right around the corner. I strongly encourage families who are eligible to apply as soon as they can – summer heat can be tough especially for those with certain medical conditions.”
Applications for HEAP Cooling Assistance will begin to be accepted this Friday, May 1. The program is first come, first served. For more information and to see if you are eligible, call the local Department of Social Services:
- Albany County DSS: 162 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12207, 518-447-7300
- Montgomery County DSS: County Office Building, PO Box 745, Fonda, New York 12068, 518-853-4646
- Schenectady County DSS: 797 Broadway Schenectady, New York 12305-2704, 518-388-4470
Eligibility requirements for the subsidized air conditioning units include:
- households must meet 2015 Home Energy Assistance Program income guidelines (see chart below) and have a member that suffers from a documented medical condition exacerbated by extreme heat; and
- acceptable written medical documentation, dated within the last 12 months, indicating the need for an air conditioner.