Assemblyman Colton, Councilmember Zhuang Mark Year Anniversary of Daily Shelter Protests
The honking of horns, the rhythmic beating of drums, and repeated cries of “No Homeless Shelter” echoed beneath the train tracks at 86th Street and 25th Avenue as hundreds of community advocates gathered with elected officials led by Assemblyman William Colton (D—Gravesend, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach and Dyker Heights) on the evening of Saturday, June 19, to mark the one-year anniversary of daily protests at the site.
The anniversary actually occurred two days earlier, on July 17, and Assemblyman Colton was among those who were on hand, that day as well, distributing foodstuffs to the faithful protesters who have given up so much of their time to keep vigil at the site, day in and day out, in spite of heat, cold, rain and snow, to make their displeasure with the proposal known and to make sure that the developer did not do anything that he did not have a permit for.
The event on July 19 was another opportunity for Assemblyman Colton and Councilmember Susan Zhuang (D—Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, Gravesend, Dyker Heights, Boro Park and Sunset Park) to thank the stalwart residents who have fueled the opposition spearheaded by Assemblyman Colton and Councilmember Zhuang.
“The power of the people -- residents and merchants who live and work in this area – cannot be overstated,” said Assemblyman Colton. “They have provided so much of the energy for the fight, and I am convinced that, at the end of the day, we will be successful in convincing city officials to abandon the plans to put a homeless shelter at the site. Billions of dollars are spent annually in New York City on shelters, which are no more than warehouses for homeless people that they themselves avoid as much as possible, and which damage the communities in which they are placed. The only people who benefit are the developers and the shelter operators, who are getting rich on the backs of New York City taxpayers and our homeless neighbors. The money would far better be spent in developing permanent affordable housing with supportive services, as needed, that would provide the city’s homeless population with what they actually want and need – a home and the tools to build a future for themselves.”
The daily protests adjacent to the site commenced last summer after word came that the developer was poised to begin demolition of the existing building. Since then, area residents have been at the site each day from morning till evening.
Opposition to the plan has been strong and sustained since the city announced in late 2023 that it planned to open a homeless shelter for 150 single men, many of whom struggle with addiction or mental health issues, at the location, which is on a busy shopping strip, near homes, religious institutions, day care centers and senior centers. Numerous prior protests drew thousands of protesters. In addition, more than 53,000 people have signed a petition in opposition to the plan.
“We have shown that we have the backbone to continue this fight as long as the city refuses to back down from its ill-considered plans,” said Assemblyman Colton. “We look forward to the day when the city comes to understand that this plan cannot go forward.”